Gynecology :: Leucorrhoea & Homeopathic Remedies
Leucorrhoea or vaginal discharge is the most common and troublesome problems of women. It is not a disease in itself but a symptom of some underlying disease.
The origin of the discharge can be from uterus, cervix, vagina or vulva.
Vulval discharge is often found in small girls and aged females, is seropurulent, viscid and offensive.
Vaginal discharge originates in vagina itself and is oestrogen dependent on creamy white, purulent, bland or excoriating. Local congestive states of pelvic organs such as pregnancy, chronic pelvic inflammatory disease, even chronic constipation with sedentry habits cause increased vaginal discharge.
The cervical discharges are thick, mucus from endocervical glands as in chronic cervicitis, erosion or mucus polyp. An excessive mucous discharge at external os is cervical origin.
Leucorrhea is mainly classified into two types:
Physiological leucorrhea: It is an excessive discharge or a secretion of a normal vagina. They are slimy in nature and usually occur among teenaged girls due to hormonal imbalance during puberty, at the time of ovulation period of the menstrual cycle, before periods, etc. In case of adults, in addition to the ovulation time and before periods, it also occurs during pregnancy and during sexual excitement. Generally, no medicine is required in this kind of discharge.
Pathological leucorrhea: It is a discharge occurring due to the disease or malfunction of the female reproductive tract. It needs immediate attention, cleanliness and treatment Ignoring pathological leucorrhea may lead to serious problems like loss of fertility or even removal of the uterus. The nature of discharge varies from slimy to thick bloody discharge with foul smell This condition is usually present in both cases of vaginitis or cervicitis.
Causes of Leucorrhoea (White Discharge)
From Fungus: Candida albicans can easily flourish in moist conditions and is usually promoted by synthetic undergarments and poor hygienic condition.
From Parasites: Protozoa – Trichomonas vaginalis causes the trichomoniasis which spreads through the sexual intercourse and moist clothes.
From Bacteria: Gardneyrella vaginalis and chlamydia are the prime causes in the bacterial infections. Also, it is frequently seen in venereal diseases like gonorrhoea, syphilis, and AIDS.
2) Injury: Injury to the vagina or cervix or womb during childbirth, abortion, or excessive sexual indulgence caused due erosions and infections with discharges.
3) Poor hygienic conditions: Non hygienic measures, especially during periods, can create infection and cause leucorrhoea.
4) Diabetes and anemia: May provoke infections due to weakened immunity among many females.
5) Local infection: Spread of infection from adjacent urinary tract (UTI) or alimentary tract (worms)
6) Irritation of IUCD: If irritation persists at IUCD, (Intra uterine contraceptive device) it can cause pain and discharges.
7) Sprays and jellies: which are used by males for provoking sexual act and jellies and drugs taken by females to kill sperms
Typed of discharge:
White vaginal discharge-nonirritating and nonoffensive is due to cervical erosion.
Yellow discharge is due to uterine and vaginal infections.
Purulent discharge is due to septic abortion, pyometra or puerperal sepsis.
Offensive discharge is because of necrotic lesion in the genital tract, septic myomata, septic IUCD, forgotten tampons.
Blood stained discharge is caused by ca cervix and uterus, ulcerated lesion of the genital tract due to retained products of conception or placental polyp.
Watery discharge may be due to urinary fistula or hydrosalpinx.
In ca foliopian tubes, an amber colored discharge is present.
Fecal discharge is caused by rectovaginal fistula.
Symptoms associated with leucorrhea:
In addition to the whitish discharge from the vagina, the patient of Leucorrhoea feels weak and tired. She also suffers from pain in the lumbar region and the calves and a dragging sensation in the abdomen.
O Lower abdominal pain
O Painful sexual act
O Backache and pain in the leg, especially thigh and calf muscles
O Intense itching with oydema
O Soreness and burning in the genital tract
O Burning urination and frequent urge to pass very little urine
O Irritability and lack of concentration in discharges
O Digestive disturbances like constipation or diarrhea or vomiting
O General tiredness due to loss of vital fluids as discharges
O Soreness and dryness
O Strong smelling or frothy discharge
O Dark colored liquid
O Rashes or sore spots on the genitals. In the chronic form, the patient of Leucorrhoea feels irritable and develops black patches under the eyes or face discoloration.
Includes general management of the patient and homoeopathic drugs.
1.Usually we see in our clinics, that a lady suffering with chronic leuc.is of weak constitution. Therefore the first advise is regarding diet containing proteins as green vegetables, eggs, milk and milk products.
2. Daily routine of some sort of exercise such as a simple walk in fresh air for 20 mints to half an hour is sufficient.
3. Sleeping in well ventilated room with windows open.
4. Proper hygiene of the genital parts, washing the area after every urination, drying of the underclothes in sunlight should be advised.
5. Constipation should be taken care of by advising intake of plenty of water and food containing roughage.
6. Reassurance to the mother in case of a small girl or to the patient, if adult, really helps to overcome the annoyance associated with the disease.
Proper case taking, as in any other case is the most essential aspect to begin the treatment of leucorrhoea. A constitutional and miasmatic medicine, most of the time is the only one sufficient to bring about the cure,however acute medicine covering the totality of the the symptoms of leucorrhoeal discharge is also required.
Some miasmatic considerations of leucorrhoea-
The psoric one is bland, albuminous, white and nonoffensive.
The sycotic is watery, or greenish yellow, acrid producing pruritis,with fishy, pungent odour.
The syphilitic would be thick, acrid,greenish, causing little vesicles or excoriation on pudendum.
some of the remedies are .
Borax,conium,sepia, pulsatilla etc.
None of Homeopathic medicine should be used without consent of Qualified Physician.You can take medicine from professionally Qualified physician after full case taking .